Today, I want to explain the term, eglomise (ā-glə-mē-zā).  This is a French word meaning “gilded glass” where the back of a piece of glass is gilded with gold or silver leaf.  While the technique can be found dating back to pre-Roman times, it gained popularity and got its current name from an 18th century French decorator and art dealer, Jean Baptise Glomy (1711-1786).  It continued to gain popularity in Europe as well as in America in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Today eglomise can be seen on furniture and accessories as well as in whole room designs.  While most of the time it is used in traditional areas or on traditional pieces of furniture, by nature eglomise may be both traditional or contemporary.


This empire style table features a glass top with eglomise technique of a Greek key border.

RESIZED.powder rm.

       In a New York City residence, this powder room stars full ceiling to floor glass panels in eglomise,                featuring Asian style florals.


This sconce features a backplate of eglomise designs in gold leaf.


In an extreme example, a recent Kips Bay Showhouse foyer featured eglomise panels on the walls and ceiling.            The effect is breathtaking.

A few of my favorite things!
My Top 5 Favorite Design Books of 2013
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.